It’s time for a brief update on my home-repair project. It seemed to me like I’ve been treading water. These pictures make me realize I have made progress.
I had the driveway repaved. It originally touched the back of the house, which was bad for drainage. I had it pulled back several feet. Turns out that the asphalt concealed a broken slab of concrete, which is probably why they paved over the area in the first place. With the aid of an air chisel, we’ve knocked it almost free. Why didn’t I do this twelve years ago?
When I’m done, I will build a form and pour a new concrete step. I wish I had a stronger back.
A large plate glass mirror, formerly in the dining room, goes off to a new home in the Capitol Region. We’ve gotten rid of almost all our extraneous furniture.
The flue and high efficiency firebox have been inspected and cleaned, and the mantle mouldings touched up. This fireplace brought us much joy over the years.
Despite the fact that I’m cleaning, the place is filled with dust. My grandson’s handprints on the (cold) fireplace insert.
The leaded glass doors are repaired and functional. I still need to seal the mosaic tile in the entryway.
My elderly dog inspects the foyer. The floors will be redone right before the house goes on the market.
Running a single color through the downstairs gives a surprisingly tranquil effect, and allows the details to shine.